<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 28, 2006


the crafty insanity continues! 

So I've got my little side business making beaded stitch markers. VERY side...a few orders so far. I'm hoping to expand just a bit - I'm going to make a few sets and see of my local yarn store (or LYS, as they're known in snobby knitter circles) will keep a few laying around to see if they sell.

In anticipation of this, I bought a shit load of beads, and a bead organizer.

See?

bead organizer

Color coordinated and all in one place. Ahhhh...I love organization. Especially when it's easy.

And then I started staring at the beads and wondering what else I could do with them, and while I KNOW I'll never have the mad beading skilz of our dear Nanner, I started toying with the idea of making something that's been rattling around in my head, ever since I got engaged.


See, I'm not USED to wearing rings on my fingers. And I'm a bit paranoid - especially at work. When I work with sketchy chemicals and have to put on gloves...sometimes the ring pokes through, and I don't want to get any nastiness on it!

Also, because my ring has a carved band, it tends to collect gunk. Like hand lotion and my eczema ointment. Gross.

So I take off the ring off my finger, and paranoia sets in. RING ON THE LOOSE! NOBODY MOVE! NOBODY TOUCH ANYTHING! It's right...THERE! THERE!! DON'T DROP IT...AWAY FROM THE SINK....GAH! THAT WAS CLOSE!

This is not good for my nerves.

I have an Old Navy lanyard that I use to clip my work keys onto during the day. Wouldn't it be nice to have something similar, but PRETTY, to clip my ring to? Then it would be safe and secure around my neck, and I could even tuck it inside my shirt when the nasty chemicals come out.


Genius!

So, I give you...


ring necklace
my beaded ring holder!


I used a leather cord, and what a PAIN to string all those beads on it. But it works, and I think it's pretty.

I'm going to keep my eyes out for a charm that I can clip to it, so that when the ring is on my finger (99% of the time) it will still be a pretty necklace.

so...what do you think?



|