<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, October 05, 2004


evil sciencework is frustrating 

Spent the past two days at working staring at a computer screen and dealing with my latest project. AAAARGH!

The results of some of the experiments NK and I have been getting are strange and unexpected. Boss lady thinks that there might be something wrong with the strains.

this again!

The strains we've been using are decendents of some I made about two years ago. Last year, something weird happened with some of them, but it turned out to be nothing. Now these latest results are throwing everything into question again. NK and I are doing tests to try to figure out what's going on. This is more complicated than it sounds, because we have to make sure that the way we do these tests is going to give us useful results.

But I have this feeling...that no matter WHAT the result, I am going to have to remake the strains. From scratch. Which is a big BIG deal, because I went through a LOT of steps to make those strains. We're talking months of work here.

So if Boss Lady decides that even if our tests show that there's nothing wrong that we can detect, she still may decide that the strains need to be remade anyway.

Sigh.

So once I get the tests going, I'm going to start the process of remaking the strains. Might as well get a head start.

But for now, it's a lot of cutting and pasting of DNA sequence on the computer, the checking of restriction sites, and drawing things out on a white board, which is kind of fun because I got ALL the dry erase marker colors from the supply room last week. Hooray for green and blue and red restriction sites and sizes!

My biggest fear is that she will decide that the project is JUST NOT WORTH IT and tell me to drop it. Then I will have to figure out what to do next, because as EVERYONE IN MY LIFE IS CONSTANTLY REMINDING ME...I am a sixth year and shouldn't I be graduating soon? I have lots of projects that I've started and then been taken off of, and I'M SICK OF IT! I just want to finish something, for once!

Anyone envy my life? Anyone?

|