<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, October 17, 2004


Conversation last night 

as we're watching TV, a commercial for the new "farscape" miniseries comes on. Kevin makes the comment:

"that was a weird show."

"yes, it was. I missed part of the very first season, so I was pretty confused about everything on the show."

"like what?"

"like who were these peacekeepers, why were they evil, and why did they all have British accents."

"...!"

"what?"

"...!"

"are you LAUGHING at me???"

"mmmmhehehehHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!"

"why are you laughing at me?"

"what does it matter if they have British accents?"

"I don't know, it just didn't make any sense!"

"sweetie, you need to suspend your disbelief with these shows."

"I think I suspend it enough with the whole 'other universe' and 'blue aliens' and 'everybody speaks perfect english' stuff. It just bothers me that the bad guys from another galaxy all together, would have of all things, a BRITISH ACCENT!"

"you don't think a British accent could occur somewhere else?"

"no. and STOP LAUGHING AT ME, DAMMIT"

he continues to laugh, and much tickling and wrestling ensues. Then I pout a little, and get kisses to make me feel better.

It's not that I can't suspend reality for a movie or a book. I love sci-fi/fantasy books and movies. Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite authors, for God's sake. But sometimes when I'm watching a show or movie of the genre, there's just one little detail that pulls me right out. Aliens with tentacle heads? Yes. Unexplained British accent? NO!!!

It didn't help that, during this conversation, we were watching some movie on Sci-fi network about vampires. Vampires I can deal with, but the movie seemed to be taking place in some futuristic, yet retro time. Like maybe the Nazi's won, but not really. All the women had retro 40's hairstyles, and all the cars looked old. But the main character was a black police detective who talked and acted very current day. So I kept asking Kevin "why are those security people wearing Russian cold-war type uniforms? " and "why do only the vampires have that slight eastern european accent, but no one else does?" This is why we can't watch movies together. But the movie just made no sense, even though it SEEMED like it should have made sense. I can watch a strange movie that purposely doesn't make sense.

Is this all just me? Am I the weirdo here?

|