<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 26, 2004


Beans beans, they're good for your heart... 

Hey guys. Sorry I'm not posting as much as usual. I'm working on (in my head) a post about my grandfather. But I've been pretty busy at work, as I was out of town, and since our yearly trip to pittsburgh is next week and I'll be missing yet MORE work, I want to get as much stuff done as possible to avoid getting the look from my boss when I remind her I won't be here next week.

That was a very long sentence, and I apologize.

In more positive news, I met with a dietician today to discuss lowering my cholesterol (206 total, I think my "bad" cholesterol is 137, which is apparently not good). My doctor had warned me that she would tell me to cut out chicken and red meat. Bleah! Not good, especially since I told Kevin whatever diet I'm on, HE'LL be on. That didn't go over so well.

Fortunatly, the dietician seemed somewhat impressed with my diet. I don't use a lot of processed foods, and I cook with healthy oils. Hooray! So with the exception of cutting down on my potato chip and cheese intake, most of the dietary changes I'll be making are additions.

I'm supposed to make my diet more mediterranean. For instance more oats, rye, olives, and beans. Also I'm to buy whole flax seeds, grind them up and sprinkle them over my food to get more omega 3 fatty acids. Um....mmmmm....yummy?

I don't cook with beans much. Canned bake beans, and black beans and rice are pretty much it as far as my experience goes. So if anyone out there has recipes for whole beans that they would like to share, I would very much appreciate it. You can post it on the recipe site. If you're not on the recipe site, drop me an email and I'll add you. I have to use whole beans.

Also, any recipes using oats, rye, or barley would be greatly appreciated. :)

|