<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, August 25, 2004


Aunt Rose and too much food 

I got into Scranton/Wilkesbarre later than planned. My flight out of Philly was delayed an hour and a half. An excruciating hour and a half on top of an excruciating 2 hour layover.

aside rant: To those representing Philly – you have a lovely town. Full of wonderful and historic stuff. I even hear tell you guys have a little baseball and football going on over there. Good for you! (hehe, couldn’t resist) And the liberty bell, whew! Wonderful! Don’t get me started! Here’s some advice: sell the liberty bell and buy a better airport! That is all

Dad picked me up and took me to Aunt Rose’s. Aunt Rose is my grandfather’s youngest sister. She is what you’d expect from a proper Italian woman: very loud, very opinionated, and also a great cook. That first night we had (and I’m NOT making this up!): roast chicken, breaded chicken strips, Italian sausage and peppers, pot roast, carrots, peas and carrots, mashed potatoes, and salad. And I’m probably forgetting something…oh yes, corn on the cob. There was 10 of us there. Also desserts. Plural.

We didn’t stay there, though Aunt Rose wanted us too. No room! She already had a full house! We stayed at the nearby Days Inn, which was the only place that still had room, as (again, not making this up) “Hogfest” was in town. Some kind of motorcycle rally.

Anyway, it was a place to sleep, because when we weren’t sleeping or doing something involving the funeral, we were at Aunt Rose’s, eating. Or playing RummyCube, which is a game sort of like rummy, but with numbered tiles. She was fanatical about this game, and we played it every night.

Her house was always full of family. Everyone talking and eating and talking. I heard plenty of stories about my grandmother. It was nice to see everyone again. I don’t get to see my mother’s side of the family much. And when I do, it’s mostly grandpa’s side. But I got to see my grandmother’s family too. They’re all polish, and like the Italians, they made plenty of yummy food. I think I’ve gained 10 pounds this weekend. Not good, as I discovered last week that my cholesterol is high and I have an appointment with a dietician tomorrow morning.

Coming up: grandpa, my first catholic funeral, and aftermath

Oh, and is haloscan being a bitch again? Beatdown with my big heavy still-unpacked suitcase!

|