<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, June 20, 2004


old people... 

Did you ever have a friend in school that was always getting you in trouble because they couldn’t stop talking? You know, during English class, when the teacher was lecturing on and on about some depressing book you’re supposed to be reading

(aside rant: why are all the books you read in high school tragedies? Romeo and Juliet, Of mice and men, Moby Dick, The Plague???? No wonder the suicide rate for teenagers is so high! Hey teachers! Throw in a comedy or something!)

Anyway, the teacher is lecturing, and you’re trying to pay attention, but your fried next to you keep talking and talking about anything and everything: boys, vacation, a movie, etc. You keep nodding your head slightly, to let him/her know that you’re listening, but trying desperately to indicate that you’re trying to pay attention. Finally, he/she asks you a direct question “so do you think I should tell him or not? Huh? Huh?” and is staring at you, waiting for a response, so you quickly whisper something like “ummm..yeah, whatever”

“Ms. X, do you have something you’d like to say to the whole class?” She singled out you! You! Not little ms/mr chatty next to you. No. the teach had been completely oblivious to the constant stream of chatter. Unfair. Your friend gives you a sheepish look, but 3 minutes later, continues with her/his one sided discussion.

OK, I have this problem now with someone in the choir. Let’s call her L. She never shuts up. And she always insists on sitting next to me every week. As soon as J stops playing the piano, she starts up again. And I’m trying to listen to his comments on what we just sang. And usually I miss something important, so I have to ask before he starts playing again “J, where are we starting?” and he says (mostly joking, thank god) “well, if you’d been paying attention, you’d know we were starting at measure 25” and everyone has a little chuckle at my expense.

So I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking “evilsciencechick, you are 27 years old! Just tell her to shut the hell up next time!” And I would. But…

L is something like 70 years old. I can’t tell a 70 year old to shut up! How do I handle this? It’s like dealing with grandma, but grandma with severe adult ADD! I’m at a complete loss, and it’s driving me nuts.

Punk-ass OLD PEOPLE!

|