<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 09, 2004


Let them...um...well...like...eat....cake? I dunno. **UPDATE** 

I woke up later than usual this morning and slowly started getting ready. I was looking through the drawers in my nightstand to see if I had any more chapsticks left (usually buy in bulk....I'm an addict...chapstick mint flavored.) when I came across my stash of extra birthday cards. I keep a few on hand for emergencies. My brain fuzzily started clicking into gear. Birthday cards. Do I need a birthday card today? No. Amy's bringing the birthday card for Caroline. I'm bringing the cake. The cake. The cake.

OH MY FUCKING GOD THE CAKE I WAS SUPPOSED TO MAKE A CAKE FOR CAROLINE'S BIRTHDAY AND I FORGOT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT!!!!

So I made a cake at 10am, did a quick cool by setting the hot cake pan in my sink with a few inches of cold water and some ice cubes, slathered the icing on, scribbled "happy birthday caroline" using the red icing tube I keep on hand, and was out the door by 11:15. Good thing i don't have much to do today. Good thing my advisor is at meetings until 1:15.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

We had a departmental seminar meeting today. Every other tuesday, pizza is provided. It was a relatively new post doc (maybe a year?) to one of the C. elegans (little worms....gross) labs.

He. Was. AWFUL!!!! Seriously, by the time you're a post doc, you should have some seminar speaking skills. This guy had none. Lots of "uh" "um" "like" "well" "I dunno." It was driving us CRAZY! And his voice would go up at the end of his sentences, like he was a surfer dude. It was obvious that he hadn't rehearsed his talk at ALL, and he seriously needed help on learning how to put a talk together. This is something you learn in GRADUATE SCHOOL! FIRST YEAR!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

If anyone wants to buy me a birthday or chrismas present, I would like to request one of these. I'm especially fond of the yeast and the mono ones. But any of them would be acceptible. I love geeky stuff like this! Maybe I'll hint to Kevin (hint hint!!!)

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

AND ANOTHER THING!
didn't want to add another post just for this, but SPEAKING of christmas gifts, I am seriously considering ordering my mother one of these for christmas. How cool! I've always thought salwar kameez were beautiful. and even though we don't have a DROP of indian blood in us...still....so pretty. And I think my mom would look gorgeous in one. Maybe one for myself, too! heehee!!!

|