<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 02, 2004


I'm a Georgia Voter 

Well, I voted! Bit of a non-event. I was alllll prepared. I had my newly started knitting, my coffee, and a banana. I was ready for the long haul. I decided to wait until 9am, to avoid the buisness people and old people.

No line. Not at all. I walked straight up to the little old ladies manning the tables. Woohoo!

My district uses the electronic touch screens. I like them, because they're fairly easy to understand, but a little worrisome, as there's no paper record of my vote.

I'm happy to say that while my votes went mostly to Democrats, I voted for ONE Republican - the person running against Cynthia McKinny the Nutjob. Actually, "the Nutjob" wasn't on the ballot, but it should have been. In the primaries for the last election for Congress, McKinny, the incumbant, lost out to Denise Majette. Now Majette is running for Senate, and McKinny wants her old seat back. Not a chance! After she lost last time, her campaign manager - her FATHER - went ON TV and announced that it was "the Jews that control it all. Jew! J-E-W-S" Yeah. Damn you Michael and Gooch! For causing Nutjob McKinny to lose! She did a lot of other stupid stuff, but all her opponent had to do this year was show that clip of her father, over and over again - "the Jews!" HAHAHAHAHAHAnot on your life, nutjob!

There was a surprise on the ballot for me as well. I knew that I'd be voting on amendment 1, which is "should the constitution of GA be amended to define marriage as between a man and a woman?" NOOOOOOOO! Whether you think gays/lesbians should be able to marry or not, the state has NO RIGHT to define marriage in the constitution. If you give states that power, what else will they slip in later about marriage? A sex clause?

ANYWAY, after that on the ballot was ANOTHER law to vote for. something about giving the supreme court power over state and local courts. wha? doesn't the supreme court already have that power? hence the name SUPREME court? I was a little unnerved because I hadn't heard ANYTHING about this ahead of time, and I was afraid I was reading it wrong. I read it out loud a few times, just to make sure. I voted "yes." Hope that wasn't a bad decision. I'm going to do some internet searches to see if I can learn more about it.

So I voted! Got my "I'm a Georgia voter" sticker (with a peach on it, of course). And now my stomach is tied up in knots over the results. I'm not going to say what I'm afraid will happen. I don't want to give that fear voice. I'm going to stay positive. I have faith. Contrary to popular belief, God is NOT a republican. I have faith.

So go out and vote!

And if you vote for Nader, so HELP ME GOD I WILL BEAT YOU WITH MY WHIFFLE BALL BAT OF JUSTICE SO HARD, YO MAMMA GONNA CRY!!!!!


|